Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Kwikset Smartkey review from Home Depot - Part 2 - the install





Welcome back to Part 2 for the install of our Kwikset Smartkey lock system from Home Depot!

Part 1 was HERE.

BUT... it comes with it's own story. Of course. :)

The install

(actual Kwikset install video is below after my story)


Kit is 100% complete.

Everything you need is in the kit right down to the last screw. All you need is a Phillips screwdriver.


I was sooooo smart. I put everything in a tray, brought out my pretty tools, hired my son to help with photography and we were going to do this in minutes!

Until I realized I had lost the instructions.

Ah well. How hard can it be, right?!






1. Remove everything that has to go. 

Everything that has to go is attached with just screws so it's all easy to remove.

2. Insert the new deadbolt latch.

This is where I went wrong... so heed the following advice.

I inserted the new deadbolt latch but it didn't fit.  It was suppose to slide in all nice like but the gears wouldn't align with the hole. Hmm..



So I pounded the door jam out with a wood chisel and made it work. 



PERFECT. (not really)

It still didn't align right so I beat out ALL the wood inside the door. It was right about then I turned to my son and said, "We may be shopping for a new door."

TIP: The deadbolt  has an adjustment feature. You can choose which measurement works best for your door hole location. Oops!


Unfortunately I lost my photographer at this point and I was kinda busy worrying about breaking my door.  No matter. It still worked out! (but I still really want a pretty new door darn it anyway)


3. Everything else just snaps together effortlessly.

So without instructions,  I put all the pieces together like a puzzle. Most of it was pretty self explanatory. Once the alignment in the hole worked out, everything snapped together PERFECTLY. 


4. Set the keyless code and insert the 4 AA batteries (done together - see video below)

But without instructions, I couldn't figure out the keyless lock settings. 

Until I attempted to find something online. And that's when I found this goldmine that could have really sped things up! You do NOT need the paper instructions with this amazing tutorial.


Original Kwikset video on install, code setting and keyless feature is HERE.



This beauty now resides on our front door and it works as well as I hoped it would! We gave it a real life test run today and it worked to perfection for both of us!


Some very cool features:

To get in, you punch in your code.

To leave, hit the little lock icon. That's it!

The system accepts two codes which are VERY easy to change. 

You can set the system to relock after so many minutes automatically. 

The system allows you to rekey your lock anytime you wish as well.

The finish is exactly the same as our original set so it was a flawless match.

Heads up:

Kwikset is under Weiser in Canada.

The keyless keypad takes 4 AA batteries.

Not any key will work with the rekey system. It has to be a Kwikset key or possibly an original that has not been recut. All my house keys are poor copies so I'll be taking one to a locksmith to see if they can cut one that will work. 

But honestly? We don't need it with that amazing keypad.


Aside from the small key glitch, I totally approve this keyless entry system we have 110%! We LOVE it!

Thank-you so much Kwikset Smartkey and Home Depot!


·        Have you ever loaned out a key that was never returned, or would you like to be able to grant temporary access to neighbors or a contractor? The Home Depot can help. SmartKey rey-key technology is the solution. The Kwikset SmartKey lock gives homeowners the ability to quickly and easily re-key their own locks without removing them from the door. 
·        Increase your home’s safety and pick up a Kwikset SmartKey lock from The Home Depot today. SmartKey offers increased security and peace of mind because lost, loaned or unreturned keys become useless. It also offers one-key convenience for your home - you can re-key your front, back and side doors to the same Kwikset key.
·        Kwikset SmartKey’s re-key technology features a patented side-locking bar, central to the locks’ ability to be rapidly and easily re-keyed. The bar replaces the traditional pin and tumbler design that is particularly vulnerable to increasingly popular lock-bumping attacks. 
·        Delivering outstanding strength and protection, SmartKey deadbolts have passed the most stringent lock picking standards and offer ANSI/BHMA certified Grade 1 security. Grade 1 security is the highest level of tested residential security available in the industry.
·        Based on performance and features, Kwikset SmartKey deadbolts earned the prestigious Best Buy rating from Consumers Digest Magazine in the residential deadbolt lock category in February 2010.  
·        Kwikset SmartKey deadbolts can be purchased online at www.thehomedepot.com and at your local The Home Depot store. 



1.        Kwikset locks on TheHomeDepot.com: http://bit.ly/uq9Zs7   
2.        The Home Depot on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheHomeDepot
3.        The Home Depot on Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheHomeDepot




The Home Depot partnered with bloggers such as me to help promote their KwikSet Lock product. As part of this promotion, I received compensation. They did not tell me what to purchase or what to say about the products. The Home Depot believes that consumers and bloggers are free to form their own opinions and share them in their own words. The Home Depot’s policies align with WOMMA Ethics Code, FTC guidelines and social media engagement recommendations.


35 comments:

  1. that is awesome - we have debated doing this for our kids, but it looked hard - not anymore! thanks Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking of doing this.
    Thank you for the information!
    I'm pinning this review!
    Kelly on FB
    Sew Lambitious on FB
    Kelly on Pinterest
    {more than 10,000 pins)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We just had one of these installed for our beach place, now I don't have to mail keys to renters anymore! My only concern is how long the batteries last and what happens if you are out without a key and the batteries die, how do you get back in? What sort of warning do you get when the batteries get low?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anon, the only warning that I know of is that a little LED will flash red inside, which you won't know about if you aren't there. I suggest to have a master key located somewhere with a fresh set of batteries (or a rechargeable kit ready to roll) with directions on how the renters can change them. It's very easy once you know how.

      I'll always have the key on my keychain anyway and we have a backup plan with the back door so we aren't reliant on just the front.

      Delete
  4. I have had one for years, it's really handy but you really need to have a key somewhere just in case. Mine has not worked a few times in frigid weather. You can tell when the batteries are getting low because the deadbolt locks slower and noisier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We played with these at the store and I'm sure will install something similar when the house goes up this year. It seems so easy, and still looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought one of these because of getting locked out of my home last weekend. I bought it because of your suggestions. So glad to have seen this on your blog.
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have these on our main and detached garage doors and LOVE them. One thing to keep in mind... Our front door stopped working last year; we changed batteries, NOTHING. It was clearly malfunctioning. We took a visit to Home Depot to buy another one; only to find out... wait for it .... They have a life time warranty! They exchanged our whole unit for a brand new one and we are happy as clams in mud again. Great review on a great product!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want one of these...just another project to add to my list. Thank-you for your warm and thoughtful comments on my blog.
    I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what if the current product we have (handleset) is not kwikset. Will the kwikset deadbolt still work ok?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello I am so excited I found your site, I really found you by
    mistake, while I was looking on Digg for something else, Regardless I am here now
    and would just like to say thank you for a tremendous post and a all
    round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go
    through it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also added your RSS
    feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do
    keep up the superb jo.

    Look into my web site ... visit link
    Also see my page > more information

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with
    Search Engine Optimization? I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good results.
    If you know of any please share. Kudos!

    Visit my weblog :: debt help South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you desire to improve your experience only keep visiting this web page and
    be updated with the most recent news update posted here.



    Have a look at my web site - click here

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there I am so excited I found your site, I really found you by accident,
    while I was researching on Digg for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like
    to say thanks a lot for a marvelous post and a all round thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design),
    I don't have time to go through it all at the minute but I have saved it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a lot more, Please do keep up the great work.

    My weblog ... click here

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not sure why but this blog is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this problem or is it a issue on my end? I'll check
    back later and see if the problem still exists.


    My web-site :: amazon.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tremendous things here. I am very satisfied to look your article.

    Thanks a lot and I am having a look ahead to contact you.
    Will you kindly drop me a e-mail?

    Take a look at my homepage: zoom teeth whitening

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there! This post could not be written any better! Reading this post reminds me
    of my old room mate! He always kept chatting about this. I will forward this page to
    him. Pretty sure he will have a good read.
    Many thanks for sharing!

    Check out my weblog; realteethwhitening.webstarts.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. We stumbled over here coming from a different web
    page and thought I might as well check things out. I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to going over your web page again.

    My blog post: hca extract

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's really very difficult in this busy life to listen news on Television, so I simply use world wide web for that reason, and get the newest information.

    Also visit my web site; check out

    ReplyDelete
  19. Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing this post
    and also the rest of the website is extremely good.


    Feel free to surf to my web site - raspberry ketone

    ReplyDelete
  20. constantly i used to read smaller articles or reviews which
    also clear their motive, and that is also happening
    with this article which I am reading at this place.


    Look at my webpage velvet deer antler extract

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hі i am kavin, its my fіrѕt ocсasion to commenting anywherе,
    ωhen i read this post i thοught i could alѕo maκе сomment
    due to this goοd artiсle.

    Αlso vіsit my wеb-sitе ::
    green coffee bean capsules

    ReplyDelete
  22. Τhаnks for οnes marνelous posting! I tгulу enjoyeԁ rеading it, you аre
    a great author.І will bе surе
    tο bookmark your blog аnd definitеly will come bаck νery soon.

    Ι want to encourаgе one tο cоntinue
    your great writing, havе a nicе weekend!



    Μу ωeb ρage - pure raspberry ketone side effects

    ReplyDelete
  23. This article ωill assiѕt the internet pеople fοr
    crеating new wеbpage or even а
    blog from staгt to еnd.

    Fееl free to ѕurf to my page :
    : raspberry ketone diet 1200

    ReplyDelete
  24. My brotheг recommеnded Ӏ might like this wеb site.
    He was tоtallу right. Thіs ρoѕt truly maԁe my
    day. Υou cann't imagine just how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

    My web blog ... raspberry ketone supplement pills

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi thеre! Do you know іf thеу make any pluginѕ to helρ wіth ЅΕO?

    I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm nоt seeing νeгy gooԁ gains.

    Ιf you knoω of anу please share. Apprеciate it!



    Here is mу web ѕite: raspberry ketone diet

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks foг thе marvelous posting!
    I seriously enjoyed reading it, you can be a greаt аuthor.
    I wіll remembеr to bοokmarκ уour blοg anԁ will еventually comе back fгοm noω on.
    I want to еnсouragе you to definitely cоntinue your grеаt writing, haνe a nice morning!


    My web sіte ... www.allylist.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Whаt's up, just wanted to mention, I enjoyed this article. It was inspiring. Keep on posting!

    My site: green coffee bean extract weight loss - http://escolar.ittux.edu.mx -

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ι'm curious to find out what blog system you happen to be utilizing? I'm hаving
    ѕome minor security problemѕ wіth my lateѕt blog anԁ I'd like to find something more safeguarded. Do you have any suggestions?

    Look into my blog; raspberry ketone fresh **

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's an amazing paragraph in support of all the web people; they will obtain benefit from it I am sure.

    my web page green coffee

    ReplyDelete
  30. Whаt's Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It positively useful and it has aided me out loads. I'm hoping to gіѵe а contributіon & help оther uѕers liκe its aided me.
    Great job.

    Also visit my blog :: raspberry κеtonеѕ benefits ()

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ι could not refraіn frοm сommеnting.
    Very well ωгitten!

    Here is my wеb sіte - green coffеe beаn eхtгact []

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, inсгedible blog lаyout! Hoω
    long hаve уou been blogging for? you made blogging loοk еasy.
    Thе overall looκ of уouг websitе is magnificent, as ωell as the
    content!

    Alѕo visit my web раge raspberry ketone reviews

    ReplyDelete
  33. The process of installation of this lock might be tough without guide. Thanks for showing us these useful tips.

    ReplyDelete

Thank-you for your comments!